2019 has been a whirlwind of a year. I feel like I haven’t had a chance to stop. Between homeschooling, trips to Disney, the house, working on Goldfish and Gin and just being a mom… it’s been one busy busy year. But thankfully, with it being so busy, I can say it’s been a pretty fantastic year overall. I feel like I have managed to get a lot accomplished which has been great.
Though I wouldn’t mind 2020 slowing down just a bit.
So before the new year gets here, I want to take a second and go over all of the goals I had in place for the year and see where we ended up.
My goals for 2019
At the beginning of 2019, I set up 6 goals to work on throughout the year. I try not to set too many, or too lofty goals for myself but I do try to set goals that will improve my life and change my habits throughout the year. So this year my goals were…
- Drop some weight
- Read more
- Do something new
- Go back to school
- Quality time with the spouse
- Work harder on Goldfish and Gin
What I managed to accomplish
I worked hard throughout the year on as many of these goals as I could. Some of them I fell a bit short on, others I feel like I blew out of the park.
- Drop some weight- One of my main goals this year was to focus on my health and drop some of the weight I have gained over the years. Unfortunately, I did not see the numbers on the scale drop all that much but I can say, without any doubt, that I have seen a big improvement in how I am feeling and my strength. I worked hard in the gym this year building my endurance and muscle strength. One of the areas that I really worked on was my right knee and leg strength. It may have been 4 years since I broke it and had surgery to repair it but in that 4 years I’ve been left with very little strength and my range of motion has sucked. When I started out the year and first started going to the gym, it was all I could do to walk up the stairs to the second floor. I could not bend my knee when going down steps or stairs and I could not use my right leg to push off with. My knee would commonly just give out and well things just were not good. It took a while but that’s completely changed. I can now go up and down stairs without any issue. My knee hasn’t had a problem with giving out for a while and I just feel like I’m more stable. I’ve also noticed that I can go up the stairs without being short of breath and I can walk for longer distances without becoming fatigued or becoming tired. So even though those numbers haven’t changed on the scale… I’m just happy that I’m feeling better.
- Read more- I’ve always loved reading but with taking care of the kids and just day to day life, I found myself never having time to pick up a book. This one I didn’t do as good as I had wanted to. I only managed to read a couple of books but a couple if better than nothing. This is one of those things I’m going to work harder to make time for this next year.
- Do something new- I managed to get out and do quite a bit of new things this year. From mom’s night out events to making myself ride roller coaster and take classes at the gym. I pushed myself to do a lot of things I had never done before. I found some things I really enjoyed too. Personally, I have never been a coaster fan. I was the person that was crying and having panic attacks on them before they even started moving. So as you can imagine, I’ve only ever ridden a few of them. Well this year I made myself ride all of the coasters (except space mountain, rockin roller coaster, and splash mountain because I didn’t have a chance to get to those ones) and I have to say that I really enjoyed them. I actually make riding Slinky Dog Dash at Hollywood Studios and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Big Thunder Mountain at Magic Kingdom absolute must ride rides every time we go. Even more surprising than that, I am actually finding myself being excited for the new Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy coasters. I also have been really enjoying some of the Weight lifting classes at the YMCA this year. I’ve always enjoyed weightlifting but being in a formal class and training with people has been a ton of fun. I never thought I’d be that person that missed the gym, but I find myself missing the gym and the classes when I can’t get there.
- Going back to school- just like with reading, I was not able to accomplish this goal. I have managed to narrow down what I want to study for but I did not manage to enroll this year. I’m not giving up on this dream though and hopefully I will be able to enroll in the coming year.
- Quality time- Spending quality time with your spouse is a big deal. Unfortunately, with having all of these kids and just allowing life to get in the way, we allowed ourselves to put our relationship on the back burner. This year we worked hard on making a big change with that though. We started putting each other first and making quality time for just the two of us. And when we weren’t able to go out on dates or spend time with just us, we made it a point to make even watching a movie with the family something where we managed to bond. It’s made a huge change in our relationship.
- Work hard on Goldfish and Gin- I originally meant this to work hard on my Youtube channel but due to time constraints and the fact that my camera broke, I switched platforms and decided to really work hard on my goldfishandgin.com website. I’ve been happy with the growth and change I’ve seen over the last few months and I’m so excited to see what the new year has to offer.
How did your year round out? What’s been your biggest accomplishment this year? Let me know in the comment section below. Don’t forget to hit that subscribe button, too. Let’s grow the Goldfish and Gin community together.