I know it’s only the first week of July, but now is the time to get prepared for the start of a new school year. As parents, we have a lot of things that we need to get and do before the start of the new school year. Filling out paperwork, getting bus passes, buying the new school year wardrobe… it can be a lot of work! And if you’ve got as many kids (or more) as me… it can get pretty freaking expensive. But if you spread things out a bit, hit some of those back to school sales and tax free weekends, and plan things out, it won’t feel like you have as much to prepare for. Needless to say, now is the perfect time to get started preparing for the next school year.
Now, this is only a loose guideline, you don’t have to follow everything to a “T” but it’ll give you some ideas of things that need to be done before your kiddo heads back. Make sure to check out the sale information and school supply lists for your area. A lot of cities have big back – to – school sale weekends and tax free weekends to help you prepare for school. This, along with other discounts, can help you save money while you’re shopping.
To make things a little easier, I’ve created a free Ultimate Back to School Checklist for you to take a long with you. So, make sure that you print that out and keep it someplace where you can see it to help you stay on track.
3-4 weeks before school
- Stock up on school supplies from school supply list
- Stock up on homework/project supplies to keep at home
- Buy school clothes/uniforms
- First day of school outfit
- Picture day outfit
- Special occasion outfit
- Gym outfit
- Establish the new bedtime routine
- Establish morning routine
- Establish evening/homework routine
- Establish a homework/study area
- Organize homework/project supplies
- Set up family command center/place for backpacks
- Make sure all immunization records and physicals have been updated
- Get school paperwork completed (turn in before school if needed)
- Get all releases signed and submitted
- Get lunch money accounts set up
1-2 Weeks before school
- Stock up on snacks
- Pack backpacks/school supplies
- Clean and organize bedroom/study area
- Review rules and expectations for after school
- Review schedule for day
- Go over teacher and classroom information
Night before the first day of school
- Set out first day of school outfit
- Print out or make first day of school photo op
- Pack lunches
- Set alarms
- Charge phone/camera/have extra battery
- Have school supplies set up and ready to go
- Hang backpack on hook by command center
- Go to bed on time or early
- Have breakfast idea ready or pre-make breakfast
First day of School
- Get up early
- Eat a good breakfast
- Take first day of school pictures
- Grab backpack and school supplies
- Have a Great day!
I hope this list helps you keep your sanity, even just a little bit, while you’re trying to get everything together for the start of the new school year. Don’t forget to grab your copy of the Ultimate Back to School Checklist before you head out.
Let me know in the comment section below, one of the things that you absolutely MUST DO before the start of each school year for your children.